"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Dream socks!


I have always been drawn to the appearance of Shortrow heels, but have not found them to be easily constructed, or comfortable on my foot. These are the exception! This is the pattern from the "Favorite Socks" book, "Priscilla's Dream Socks" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts. The yarn is from the current RockinSock Club kit. Obviously, I chose to use a pattern other than the kit pattern. I tried the given selection, and just did not care for the technique or the outcome. So - I did my own thing this time. And, very glad that I did!

These socks fit truly like a dream! The toe is made identical to the heel, both being short-row, but made in a very easily understood manner. I love them! I think this will be my heel/toe standard from now on. They are 64 stitches, and I made no modifications to the pattern whatsoever. They were made on 2.5 mm Pony Pearls DPNS for the first 3.5 inches and then the lower leg and foot were made on 2.25mm needles. The yarn is a new silk/merino blend "Silkie" from Blue Moon, colorway being "Walking on the Wild Tide". It is probably the softest yarn I have ever used. Not sure if the next pair will be as dreamy as these -- but this yarn, combined with this pattern is well - just terrific!!

16 comments:

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

I like very much what you did with the current STR club yarn. Mine got "time out" because they were too large (I picked the wrong size). And I really like that yarn in a stockinette pattern.

Vera said...

Your socks looks great. I may need to consider that pattern for my STR yarn.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Prettier than the pattern that came with it for sure! and more wearable too. I've decided if another comes up like this one that I really don't like that much - I will switch and go out on my own too!! and you learned Priscilla's way as an extra added bonus!

bobbi said...

GREAT LOOKING SOCKS!
I think I'll use STR yarn meant for the grasshopper also, I'm so glad I found your blog for that reason,
I too am retired, but find it hard to find time for most anything, retirement is a very busy thing.

Beth said...

Beautiful socks!
I'm not a member of the STR club but I saw the pattern online and did not care for it. I love the pattern and yarn combo you came up with. Maybe I'll have to give that short row a try. I haven't found one yet that works for me.
The yarn sounds wonderful. I really enjoy a silk/wool blend.

bobbi said...

kathy,
thanks for the comment you left on my blog,
yes I did make the makers, it was my first try at it,
like I need another hobby.
I'm new to blogging, so excuse me if I was to answer in another way.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty indeed! I am so happy that you decided to knit your STR yarn with a pattern you now like. Your socks may be an incentive for me to learn short row heels. Very nice!

Rebecca said...

Glad to hear your commendation on those Priscilla Socks. I have been considering using that pattern for some striped Hogwarts Socks and wondered about that heel! I was especially drawn to the pattern because of the chart scanning multiple sock sizes. My Pal has a wide foot and a long foot. Thanks for sharing! The socks are lovely!

Marguerite said...

Perfect marriage of yarn and pattern. Great looking socks.

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Your socks look superb! I'll have to give that pattern a try. I've had the same experience as you with the short row heels. I'll give it another try.

Have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

Those look great! I may have to copy you.

JakkiMitch said...

Very nice!! I didn't have success with my first, and only, attempt of this heel/toe method. I'll try again -- maybe with a CIC pair - heavier yarn, smaller sock.

Love the yarn color, BTW.

bobbi said...

I'm back, I've never heard of Pony Pearls DPN, I'm assuming ( I know I shouldn't assum anything) if you use them you must like them.
would you mind telling me about them, I have tons and tons of needles, always trying different brands.
I just bought lantern moon DPN Ebony and Rosewood in us size 0 and 1 and I'm afraid to use them in fear of breaking them. they were more then I shoud have spent.
have a good day!

Unknown said...

those are absolutely beautiful!! way to go!! :) That silk/merino sounds wonderful...I'll have to check it out! I am currently knitting socks with some of my own handspun, I used a blend of tencel, angora, corriedale wool, and alpaca...and I am hooked. I just love blended-fiber socks....

KnittySue said...

Very nice socks, love the color and the pattern.

A South Park Republican said...

Very pretty socks. The pattern shows off the yarn nicely.