2nd attempt - much better! Thanks to those of you that gave suggestions, or sent a little bit of support my way. Always nice to hear from you.
This one pleases me. I have a recipient in mind, so hope it pleases her too.
Things I did different from the first:
I pre-washed my fabrics. I bought different interfacing - not as heavy. I was initially going to adhere it to the lining fabric only, but I did not feel that it was stiff enough. So, I put it on both pieces of cotton. The stiffness is just perfect, without any creases or bubbling of the fabric. I also put pull tabs at each end of the zipper. And, I made sure the handle was at the top of the bag - top being at the zipper pull.
So - I am happy now. It's a good thing. :)