"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Found pleasures....

Last weekend, I spent the better part of an afternoon organizing my yarn stash. It was great fun, although shadowed with a little guilt....as I had just made out a Christmas wish list for my daughter and guess what was on the top... Yep!! yarn! I know my stash pales in comparison to some others, but I feel that my "retirement" account is growing...faster than my real 401K, I am sure!!

In amongst the yarn, I also discovered some UFO's. One was a pair of thrummed mittens. I had purchased the kit for these several years ago, while vacationing in Prince Edward Island. So - now that the Iowa winter is upon us, it seemed like a great time to finish them off. For those of you that are not familiar with the "thrummed" technique, a tuft of wool is hooked into the stitch, creating a small contrasting stitch pattern on the right side of the fabric, and an interior to the mitten that will eventually felt together and be virtually water proof, and oh, so warm!! I am sure I will get a chance to try these out this winter - Iowa has plenty of snow, you know.

I am currently working on a pair of mittens made from Lopi remenants. I have a great collection of left-overs, and really should use some of them up! The Lopi mitts will be for charity - and hope they find some hands to keep warm this winter.

I also have the first sock for my Sockret pal completed. I love the pattern, and wish I could show you, but won't...not right now....

So have been keeping busy, knitting if not blogging :)

Oh, yes. I have finally caved it -- DH, the one with size 12 1/2 EEEE feet has once again asked for "Kathy-Knit" socks for Christmas. I ordered 200gr of yarn today. Hope that's enough!! But, I did manage to talk him out of "Plain Dark Grey". I found a nice "Manly" subdued gray mottled stripe. Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like everyone is having stash organizations parties! I'm not delving into the actual stash until after Christmas, when I will be having a serious yarn diet. Or something. We'll see how strong my will is by then. :)

Marguerite said...

Welcome to the "These socks are huge and boring but they're what he wants and I love him" KAL.