"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

A learning experience

While on vacation, DH purchased Cat Bordhi's new book, "New Pathways for Sock Knitters" for me. In an attempt to really understand the theories and techniques that she has in her book, I am following her guidance. She recommends that you first make some baby/toddler sized patterns to familiarize yourself with her new ideas. So, I have just completed "Little Sky Sock" and "Little Coriolis". I indeed learned a great deal!

Her basic theory is that the gusset stitches (she calls them "arch expansion" stitches) that we have normally placed on the side of the foot can actually be placed anywhere and still produce a serviceable sock. Along with this basic idea, however, she presents lots of older techniques with a new spin, or new explanation - as only Cat can do! She re-addresses wrapped stitches for short rows, and even slanted increases are described in a new light.

It is an interesting book, and I am enjoying exploring new territory. And, as I am a DPN fan, I appreciate the fact that she has written this book for all of us - DPN, 2 Circs, and even Magic Loop users will find their preference welcome!

Since I am (really) working on Christmas gifts, I fear that I will not finish a pair of full sized socks during the month of October. So, I plan on submitting these little socks for my SAM-4 project for the month. Why do I feel like I am "cheating"...??

No comments: