"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Monday, February 18, 2008

A recipe! (a little off the beaten track here....)

Some of you may remember that a little over a year ago, my husband suffered a fairly severe heart attack. (He is doing well, btw) Needless to say, some life-style changes have taken place in our home. I have drastically changed how I cook and bake. Revising recipes is not always easy, especially having the results be really delicious.While this recipe started out as a decedent desert, smothered with gooey cream cheese frosty, (Oh yes...I remember that taste!) the modified version creates a pretty darn tasty treat. They are a favorite of DH, and I also enjoy them. I think part of my success is due to the fact that I have found some different types of whole wheat flours. Who would have guessed that there was such a thing as "White" whole wheat flour. All the same goodness with a lighter color and milder flavor. It's true!

Anyway, for those of you who may be interested (and with my apologies to those of you who are not) I give you my version of:

"Pumpkin Bars"

2 cups flour (1 cup each of the two kinds in photo)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups (1 regular can of pure pumpkin...not pumpkin pie filling)
2 snack size containers of natural unsweetened applesauce ( I think they are each 1/2 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt substitute
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
Eggbeaters (equal to 4 eggs)

After mixing the above ingredients, fold in raisins, dried cranberries, chopped almonds. Any or all of the above - quantities to your liking.
Put into lightly sprayed 9 x 14" baking dish. Bake 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until pulls slightly away from edges. Cool completely prior to cutting. The cut bars freeze well.

Even my "non healthy eating" family members like them. They are also a hit with DH's co-workers....(the donut eating variety). Hope you enjoy. Now...back to knitting.....

No comments: