"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

what's old is new again....

Well, perhaps I have procrastinated a little too long with this project.....
The felt, sequined, and beaded Christmas stocking for BG was started yesterday. YIKES!!! 15 pages of instructions, and 113 pieces of felt that need to be cut out and dealt with. Hmmm.... Christmas is when???

One decortation that will be there in plenty of time..... well, it's been around for 32 years, the last 10 or so, it's not been out of the storage box. Back when our first child was small, and Christmas spirit was more abundant than disposable cash, I made this Advent calendar tree. I appliqued a corduroy tree on a piece of white sheeting. I made the 24 balls that snapped on the tree, and a star for the top - to be put on Christmas morning. It was/remains pretty crude, but the kids loved it. OH MY....the tussles they used to have over who's turn it was to put on a ball. I had to mark the calendar with initials indicating whose turn it was in an attempt to minimize the arguments. Anyway, BG's mom wants it for their house this year. Ahhhhh..... Tradition!!! I wonder if she has fond memories of IT, or of the fights she had with her brother over it?? Childhood memories you know! Anyway, I washed it up today, and hopefully BG will get some enjoyment out of it. I have a great desire to replace it with a better model, but perhaps it has it's own charm??? Besides that, there is no time....his stocking will be enough of a challenge!The march of the mittens continues. I am currently working on pair #9. I think 10 will be the final pair. Hopefully I can hang in there till then.

And on the spinning frontI am currently plying these singles. Yes, it's really that dark. Not sure what the final yarn will be like. Hopefully gorgeous! vbg. I'll let ya know.....

No comments: