"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Monday, May 12, 2008

Belatedly...

I'd like to wish you all a Happy Mother's Day. I hope everyone had a great day! My daughter received her first Mother's day recognition...so I guess it's official! Exactly 2 months from today is her due date. Considering how quickly time flies by these days, Baby Garrett will be here before you know it!
I had this Mom and her youngster visit my yard yesterday morning. (The little guy is in the tree) Young squirrels are pretty big before they venture out of the nest - but size does not equal intelligence or abilities. This guy was totally confused. Mom was trying to get him to climb up the tree and jump onto the roof of the house. He was not quite ready for such aerial achievements and actually took a good fall once. After some motherly attention, he seemed fine, but eventually they took a ground route to the next training station.

Later she returned with yet another youngster, and this one made the leap from tree to rooftop with no problems. Perhaps she will bring them both back when they are ready for the "How to torment dogs" lesson. I think we are in the permanent training manual for that one....

I surprised myself by actually getting the third pair of socks finished for my mom for Mother's day. It was a first for me...but I made one sock, from start to finish, in only one day! I worked diligently most of the day on Saturday, and actually completed it. She seemed to like all three pair very much. She declared that a matching gift bag would be a welcome Christmas gift! Hmmm... not sure if that makes me happy or not..... At least I know she really likes the socks. Handknit socks are all I see her wear anymore. I did enjoy knitting these socks (well - 2 out of the 3 pair anyway) so perhaps I can make more to put away for the holidays....

These are out of the original "Petticoat" Opal that I had in my stash. I tried to get a "Feather and Fan" type of pattern worked up, but they continued to be too big, no matter what I seemed to do. So - just a simple 2x2 rib worked out fine. They were knit on 2.25mm Pony Pearl DPNs. Stitch count is 68 stitches.

No comments: