"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Sunday, August 17, 2008

I wonder....

Is there a "heart healthy" category for food entries into the Iowa State Fair food competition? Hmmm..... Don't think I will be winning any blue ribbons, but still would like to share this recipe with you. Any of you needing heart healthy treats, well this is a good one. My DH really loves this, and I also enjoy it.

Squash Bread
3 eggs (Egg beater's equivalent)
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 & 1/2 cups sugar
1 TBS vanilla
Beat the above ingredients in mixer till well blended, then add:
2 & 3/4 cups flour (half regular whole wheat, half whole wheat pastry flour)
1 tsp salt substitute
1/2 tsp soda
1 TBS Cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
Beat till well mixed, then add:
2 cups shredded Yellow crook neck squash (or Zuchinni)
1/3 (or so) cup raisins
1/4 (or so) cup chopped almonds
Bake in 2 sprayed loaf pans at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or till pulls away from sides.
It's very moist and tasty! It also freezes well.
Hope you enjoy...
Sofee is happy that we finally hung her painting. This is the oil painting that Jim, Shirley's son sent us. He used a photo of Sofee as a model. Quite the likeness of the little ham! She always tips her head just like that when she sees the camera. This most certainly would have won a blue ribbon, had it been entered into our fair! We certainly will enjoy this wonderful gift!

As for knitting, I wish I could show you a photo of finished sleeves for St. Brigid....but they aren't finished yet. Hopefully soon....very soon. Why do sleeves take FOREVER????

And, I leave you with this..... This comes courtesy of my DD. It looks like they are playing "airplane" to me. I imagine daddy and BG will devise many games in the years to come. Hmmm...do they still have the "most beautiful baby" contest at the fair?

No comments: