"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Not Vanilla this time!

These are my pathetic felted clogs. I really need to make new ones, but I hate to attempt felting in my frontloading washing machine. So....I have procrastinated.....

I recently discovered that along with mittens, Jorid Linvik has designed some socks! I just can't seem to resist her patterns.
I plan to wear these as slipper/socks. They are knit out of Dale of Norway Falk, a machine washable DK (or sport?) weight wool. The stranding throughout will make them very warm! They are soft, cushy, and perfect for lounging around the house! I am so happy with them. Here is the top, and below you will find the bottom view. The coloration is more accurate on the photo of them on my feet, however. They are brown/off white not grey. The pattern comes in three sizes. I made the medium, but I did add 3 rows to the length before decreasing for the toe. The "Turkish" heel or "Afterthought heel" was fun to make. I had not done one for years. I need to revisit the book "Fancy Feet" by Anna Zilboorg. It's a book of traditional Turkish patterns, all of which have this heel treatment.

Oh, and an update. My son called after receiving his snowboard socks. They fit perfectly and will be on the slopes this weekend. He seemed quite tickled with them. So.....yep, more socks will be on their way to New Mexico soon. Moms..... we never stop, do we???

No comments: