"Nuttin but knittin" - that says it all, with an occasional deviation into the real world.

Thursday, October 04, 2012

Happenings....

It was an early morning for Sofee and I.  4am found us downstairs sewing.  Go figure....could it be that once again, as I try to get off of my hormone replacement therapy, an inability to sleep is setting in??  That's where I'd stake my money.....but at least I am getting things done.  I've never been one for lots of shuteye anyway.  Sigh.....

Before I start rambling, I'll revisit some previously mentioned projects:
I have the first "teacher's shawl" complete, but not yet blocked.  I'm pretty happy with it.  It should block out to be the same size as mine (the original one that they admired so much).  The coloration is a bit different, (more yellow) but that was beyond my control.  I've not yet started spinning for Shawl #2, but soon....

The striped Socks:
are completed.  I knit an afterthought heel, in an attempt to keep the striping sequence constant.  They fit nicely, and I am happy with them.  The preschoolers enjoy my crazy socks.  I have returned to wearing my Birkenstocks so that they can see my "crazy toes".  Fun.  This yarn was from Desert Vista Dyeworks.  And, I have another pair started.:
I am down to where I added the waste yarn that holds the position of the afterthought heel.  A little more sedate in coloration this time, but just as much fun.  This is also DVD yarn, in the "Henley" colorway.  She says it reminds her of old faded Henley shirts.  I agree.  I am knitting this as part of the "Green Party" for the Sock The Vote KAL.

And, while I am on the subject of socks, stripey ones in particular,
I have discovered a new indie dyer.  MarigoldJen on etsy.  I just love those thin, one-round stripes that this BFL/nylon blend sock yarn is giving me.  The Colorway is Jack o' Lantern.
I reached the place for the toe decreases last night, while watching the debates.  I'm considering a dark charcoal heel and toe.  I'm debating!  I have had several communications with Jen surrounding the term "self striping" vs. variegated.  She seems so sincere in not wanting to misrepresent her yarns.  She listed this as "should self-stripe or pattern as knit".  A perfect description in my opinion!  I wrote asking if all her sock yarns would do this.  I love it....  I think it may be a slippery slope for me......  BFL too!  My favorite type of wool.  She has such lovely colorways from which to choose.  I've been so good for so long.......   (perhaps I've taken my first drink!)  YIKES!

So, I think that brings me up to 4am this morning.  What was I working on?
We can only hope for straight seams!  I put the last round of "light" logs onto the blocks this morning.  Nearing completion.  I am anxious to get all 48 blocks complete, so that I can lay them out and play around with the positioning.  Log Cabin has always been my favorite quilt pattern.  I am enjoying working on it very much.

And, I have also been very pleased with the performance of my sewing machine.
It's old, and for the most part, has spent the last 20 or so years totally neglected and ignored in the corner of my basement.  I chuckled when I found the receipt stuck in the back of the owner's manual.  1987.  And also, I was shocked by the fact that I had paid well over $1,000 for it....way back then!  "In the day", I sewed a great deal, even to the point of making my son's blue jeans.  He was so skinny - even altering Sears "super slim's" jeans was not adequate in getting them to fit correctly.  He still has that body type - can eat anything and never shows it!  Oh....to be so blessed.  But, I digress.... 

I do remember it  being billed as being computerized and having lots of bells and whistles at the time, most of which I have never used.
For grins and giggles, I should go look at new sewing machines.  I bet the technology (not to mention the price) would blow me away!  Times - they do change......

But, it has done a good job for me, and together we have sewn this little project bag:
I'm on a project bag kick - sewing Halloween themed bags, and I have enough fabric to make another "just cute" one for me:
The Hubbs and I went to the Amana Colonies last weekend, and I enjoyed shopping in their lovely quilt shop.  I know I have a box of cotton fabrics around here somewhere too.....

Fall is coming to our area with a vengence - today in fact.  Major cool down is predicted, and even (hopefully) a bit of rain is in the forecast.  We need the rain and I am ready to end these 80+ degree days - not normal for October, that's for sure.  Our preschool is walking to the local fire station tomorrow though, so I hope it's not too bad of weather.  It's not a long walk, but still could be a bit nippy.  Hopefully everyone will come dressed appropriately.

Speaking of going to the fire station......I'm sure I have some fire engine red socks around here somewhere................

catch ya later! :)


3 comments:

Nancy said...

My goodness, you have been busy crafting with wonderful results.

KnittySue said...

I LOVE IT ALL...the colors the fabrics on that quilt are totally awesome and the socks too. That shawl is beautiful...can't wait to see what the lack of sleep has finished by the end of the weekend. You make me miss my quilting with a vengence.

Melodye said...

Log cabin blocks are my favorite, too! You will be shocked at prices for new machines. It's fun to look and think "what if?"